Title: Education Design Specialist/Health Writer
Reports to: Director of Education
The Education Design Specialist/Health Writer will be responsible for the content development of health-related online courses, specifically on HIV prevention and care topics. They will serve as the primary writer for online courses using adult education and e-training methodologies. They will support a multi-year training and education cooperative agreement to produce training courses and their supplemental materials or practice aids. The Education Design Specialist/Health Writer will lead the writing/editing needs of all courses within this training and education program. They collaborate closely with the Director of Education, the e-Learning Specialist, and other program staff to achieve project goals, develop learning objectives, assist with defining measurable and actionable metrics, and develop the written content from conception to completion, according to best practices in instructional design and adult learning theory.
The Education Design Specialist/Health Writer will have proven writing and editing skills, adhere to timelines, and manage multiple projects in various stages of course development. They will collaborate with the instructional design team and subject matter experts to produce clear, concise training products which are appropriate for the HIV prevention public health workforce and meet 508 compliance standards.
BA or BS in English or a related field with preferred work experience developing educational courses in public health, medical education, or HIV prevention. Masters preferred. Minimum of five years related work experience combined with the ability to demonstrate the necessary skills and abilities for this position. The candidate must present two recent writing samples that illustrate his/her ability to meet the job requirements, such as training and health education materials. Experience developing competency-based curricula and continuing education programs using adult learning theory, is desired. Strong preference for healthcare or medical writer experience. The successful candidate will have experience creating online learning content, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently. Applicant should possess strong cultural and linguistic competencies.
It is recommended that the applicant have knowledge and skills to develop education and training resources in the areas of: basic HIV service competencies; HIV prevention programs, including biomedical HIV prevention; and emerging trends in HIV prevention, care, and treatment.
This full-time position is based at HealthHIV’s Washington, DC office. Remote work may be considered.
Skills and Abilities Needed:
● Excellent writing and editing skills with attention to detail.
● Proven ability to develop competency-based (skills and knowledge attainment) educational resources and courses.
● Knowledge of, and adherence to, varying style guides (i.e. APA, GPO, MLA).
● Write/edit training content with a team including subject matter experts, instructional designers, and other content writers.
● Collaborate with team to ensure written content is appropriate to audience, uses plain language, and adheres to 508 compliant standards.
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritizing tasks efficiently and meeting project timelines in an intense, fast-paced environment.Balance multiple responsibilities and functions well under pressure.
● Work effectively as part of a team with diverse staff.
● Highly skilled in computer use, especially in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Experience with e-learning design softwars, such as Articulate, Lectora, Adobe Software Suite (Captivate, Flash and Photoshop), is recommended.
● Provide leadership for the development of educational content.
● Develop measurable competency-based (skills and knowledge attainment) training and education course outlines.
● Draft storyboards from narrative content, applying treatments developed by the training team.
● Review editorial content of learning projects for accuracy and relevance.
● Provide timely, consistent and constructive feedback to ensuring appropriate syntax, style, and content flow for different product types and target audiences, amending or re-writing content, as needed.
● Draft scripts for video products.
● Direct content development through appropriate review and workflow processes ensuring on-time delivery and content quality.
● Use principles of adult learning to improve instruction.
● Comprehensive health benefits (Domestic Partners are eligible for coverage).
● Retirement benefits (eligible to join the 403b plan after the three-month introductory period). Twenty-three days (minimum) of paid personal leave (accrual begins on start date at 7.19 hours per pay period).
How to Apply:
Resumes, cover letter, and writing samples should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Health Writer/Editor (E-learning)” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
This job description is not inclusive of all responsibilities or duties related to the position and may be revised at any time. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required by the project or the organization. Employment with HealthHIV is at-will, and as such, the employment relationship may be terminated at any time, with or without cause.