THE BLT: BOARD LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM FOR ASO/CBO BOARDS OF DIRECTORS
The BLT™ is a tasty twist on a classic approach to help organizations not just sustain services, but elevate their relevance. Its training curriculum includes first-of-its-kind, online courses that support skills building for ASO and CBO Board of Directors to engage in organizational sustainability planning.
CLICK THE BLT TO REGISTER
As a result of fundamental shifts transforming the public health system ASO and CBO leadership each day are being presented with new challenges to the sustainability of their organizations. In order to be proactive and responsive to the changing HIV and healthcare landscapes, ASO/CBOs must:
- Improve understanding of their own organization’s sustainability needs;
- Adapt new business practices and HIV service delivery models;
- Focus strategy to leverage existing funding and resources to adapt service delivery; and,
- Develop fiscal strategies to achieve increased revenue and income diversification.
Board members are responsible for ensuring that its organization has the resources it needs to be successful and that the mission and philosophy of the organization are maintained. Thus, ASO/CBO Board of Directors must be prepared and engaged to pivot their organizations in the dynamic healthcare landscape.
Given their limited access to guidance and tools to engage with leadership in sustainability planning – and significant time resource limitations for ASO/CBO board member training – HealthHIV is offering a free, self-paced, online curriculum for board members called The BLT™.
HealthHIV has launched The BLT™: Board Leadership Training Program to provide ASO/CBO Board of Directors with practical tools and resources to promote sustainability and model adaptation. Courses offered in The BLT™ curriculum range from basic to advanced, and are formatted for viewing in brief, 20-30 minute segments. The curriculum also includes access to resources, tools and templates for ongoing engagement, which are available for download via the online learning platform. Participants who choose to complete all courses in The BLT™, and score 80% or higher on a final exam, will receive a Certificate of Proficiency in ASO/CBO Board Leadership.
The BLT™ curriculum includes:
- Introduction to The BLT™– A brief, introductory course to familiarize the learner with the purpose of this program and provide a brief overview of HealthHIV. (Required)
- ASO/CBO Board Basics – This provides participants with core knowledge and skills needed to be effective as an ASO/CBO board member. The course reviews key roles and responsibilities of ASO/CBO board members, the basics of nonprofit board structure, composition and operations, and strategies for effective communication with internal staff of their organization.
- Board Membership: Identification, Recruitment and Engagement – This course will teach participants basic strategies and skills to assess their existing board and identify and recruit new board members. This course also will help participants to identify opportunities for cultivating relationships with potential board members, as well as discuss key board member onboarding activities.
Upcoming Courses in The BLT™ launching through December 2017:
- Strategic Thinking: Developing Strategies to Ensure Organizational Relevance and Program Sustainability
- Understanding Nonprofit Finances: Implications for Fiscal Sustainability
- Community Engagement for Resource Development: Fundraising Best Practices
- Thriving HIV Nonprofits: Identifying and Implementing New Service Delivery Models
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you have questions about completing the online training, feedback on The BLT™ curriculum or its course offerings, suggestions for additional materials, or desired topics of interest for discussion, training, or technical assistance, e-mail: Prevention@HealthHIV.org