Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
The Communications Manager will manage and execute public relations, outreach and marketing activities for HealthHIV (HH) and the National Coalition for LGBT Health (Coalition). The Communications Manager is responsible for promoting, marketing, and publicizing HH’s work to its key audiences, which include HIV and health media (print, broadcast, and online), HIV and primary care organizations, the national HIV community, private sector leads, potential funders and supporters. The Communications Manager coordinates with HH’s and Coalition’s other program staff who have responsibility for developing the programming and core content disseminated by the communications team.
BA degree required and five years work experience demonstrating the needed skills and abilities for this position. Experience working in the HIV and/or LGBT field is desired. Experience with racial and ethnic, medically underserved communities is of interest. The successful candidate may need to travel up to 15% of his/her time.
Skills and Abilities Needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; with a talent for turning policy or research issues into prose that is compelling and accurate;
- Outstanding public speaking skills;
- Experience in communications, including traditional and new media, strategic marketing and media outreach – ideally in a health policy, research, or advocacy setting, and reaching journalists, decision makers, and health care providers;
- Experience in production (print and video), advocacy campaigns and viral marketing;
- Ability to build and engage audiences through online tools, using strategies such as online marketing campaigns, content partnerships, and new technologies;
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, and collaborative team player with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and projects, incorporate feedback, and improve systems;
- Outstanding project manager and creative thinker, who—with the help of communications consultants and in-house staff—can initiate and lead ambitious marketing/communications efforts and who’s skilled at using research and data to inform strategy;
- Expertise with relevant technology, including websites, educational platforms and databases;
- Agility moving from big-picture thinking to micro-level detail and hands-on project administration; impeccable attention to detail;
- Dedication to HH’s and Coalition’s values; and
- Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, work groups, and stakeholders.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee online outreach.
- Deploy new online tools – such as website enhancements, email list recruitment efforts, social media, and search engine optimization – to reach more of our target audience;
- Direct outreach campaigns;
- Oversee the distribution of email products and print publications; and
- Oversee the management and improvement of the technology and systems that enable HH’s online presence, including subscriber databases, bulk email servers, and our web platform.
- Interface with traditional and online media.
- Deliver HH, Coalition and project messages to and cultivate relationships with media;
- Supervise and coordinate release of publications to the media and public;
- Place HH and Coalition commentary in media; and
- Maintain and improve media and blog lists and outreach.
- Manage and improve communications systems.
- Monitor the success of HH products and promotions through online stats, surveys, and occasional market research;
- Work with other HH staff to improve products;
- Contribute to HH’s internal evaluation; and
- Manage interns and consultants, including facilitating a collaborative team environment, developing shared tools to make work more effective, and encouraging professional development.
- Monitor and report on communication, outreach, and marketing activities, budgets, and expenditures.
- Monitor budget, track and code expenditures by activity and project;
- Report on communication and outreach activities, progress toward and achievement of deliverables; and
- Contribute to funder required progress reports.
- Assist in the development of outreach, communications, and marketing budgets.
- Respond directly to requests for information or direct requests to appropriate program staff.
- Attend staff meetings and other team meetings as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Working in the spirit of openness, learning and ongoing improvement;
- Highest level of performance; and
- Flexibility and adaptation to the organization’s dynamic, energetic environment.
- Comprehensive health benefits (Domestic Partners are eligible for coverage).
- Retirement benefits (eligible to join the 403b plan after the three-month introductory period). Twenty-three days (minimum) of paid personal leave (accrual begins on start date at 7.19 hours per pay period)
How to Apply
Resumes must include a one-page cover letter and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
This job description is not inclusive of all responsibilities or duties related to the position and may be revised at any time. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required by the project or the organization. Employment with HealthHIV is at-will, and as such, the employment relationship may be terminated at any time, with or without cause.